Monday, May 16, 2011

I Can Breathe Again...For Now

It's been awhile since my last post, and I vowed not to let this happen, but how was I to know the upheaval that would be my life over the last month.  This will be a non-bookish post, as I haven't done much of that lately either, so it's up to you if you continue to read or not.

Life is getting back to some kind of normal, although that may change again soon.  As of today, we have completed all of our adoption training, turned in all of our paperwork, and we have our fire & health inspections on Sunday.  After that, we just wait!  Now, I'm not a patient person, which is why we're done with it all, because I was determined not to drag this out.  If we're going to wait, it's going to be on a baby, not the fact that we couldn't get the training or paperwork taken care of.

I'll tell you that the most stressful part of this whole thing has been the home study.  We are a simple couple, don't live in an elaborate house, and we raise horses.  Would the agency want someone like us?  Would they not want to place a child in our home because it's not high dollar?  You can't even imagine the thoughts that went through my head before the visit.  What was I worried about?  I just had to get over myself and get through it.  They weren't looking for perfect couples, just couples who would love a child.  Well, that's us!  We got the house ready and got through it...what a relief when it was over!  I thought you'd like to see some pictures of the nursery so far...


Curtain that my mom made

 
Crib sheet my grandmother made


Shelf that I painted and hubby hung for me

We painted the room a pale yellow and the material is mostly browns with yellows, pinks and blues, so it's gender neutral, since we won't know the sex of the baby until we get a phone call.  We don't have a preference one way or the other, so we wanted something that would work either way.  It's called Baby Animal Talk and has baby farm animals on it.
We did have to tell the agency what kind of a child we would like, race, age, etc.  Our hope is for a newborn, but we told them that if the infant had a toddler aged brother or sister, we wouldn't want to split them up.  Our family of 2 will grow to 3 or 4 in an instant.  Just the thought makes me nervous and excited at the same time!

I'm ready to start blogging again, now that the training and paperwork are over.  Yes, coupled with the end of the school year, waiting for state test results and adoption jitters, it's going to be sporadic, but I need it.  Blogging is therapeutic for me, the other bloggers my sanctuary in a sometimes crazy, hectic life.  I'm thankful to be part of such a welcoming, loving community.

I can breathe again, for now...at least until the phone call comes.

4 comments:

drey said...

Deep breaths! Your life is so going to change! :)

As for your house & the horses-if that's what really counted for an adoption, we'd have a lot more children in the system instead of with loving families. I wish you and your husband all the best!

bermudaonion said...

It sounds like things are coming together nicely! I wish you the best of luck and hope and pray you don't have to wait too long for your bundle of joy.

Jess (The Cozy Reader) said...

How exciting! Love the pictures of the nursery!

I hope the wait isn't too long. It's almost as bad as being pregnant and waiting for the labor to start!

I'm at home now with my 3 week old baby boy Riley. I honestly couldn't image going immediately to a newborn with a toddler all at once. I'd have skipped that option for sure! Then again, it really couldn't be that bad if you have help. :)

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh, this is SO exciting. Breathe in. breathe out. Just a game of hurry up and wait, now. Exciting!

 
site designed by aerin at insearchofgiants.com