Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"Waiting On" Wednesday - Plain Kate


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted at Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.


This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:

Plain Kate
by Erin Bow
Publication Date: September 2010 by Arthur Levine

In a market town by a looping river there lived an orphan girl called Plain Kate …


 
Kate’s is a colorful world of brokenhearted magicians, wandering gypsy clans, carved charms and stolen shadows. It’s a dark world of ghosts, fog and questions. It’s a dangerous world of witch burnings, persecution and plague. Her story is a coming-of-age story, a story about family and belonging, trust and betrayal, bravery and sacrifice, death and what lies beyond. Also, there’s a talking cat in it.

You know I'm a sucker for purple covers, so this one immediately caught my eye.  Plain Kate sounds like a good read, from the synopsis.  Books with magic are very popular right now, and I'm a huge fan of the Salem witch trials, so the world of witch burnings, persecution and plague is right up my alley.

What book are you waiting to read today?

9 comments:

Alayne said...

Ooh really good pick! And yeah, purple covers are great.

Alayne said...

My WOW is at The Crowded Leaf.

Gwendolyn B. said...

I've had my eye on this one, too. We've got a bit of a wait, tho! Here's mine!

Nina said...

This is a really good pick. I have put this on my tbr list. thanks!

Corrine said...

This one sounds really good, I'll have to add it to my wishlist. Thanks. :)

Shooting Stars Mag said...

never heard of this but it sounds good. talking cats? awesome. and I do like the color purple and the salem witch trials. haha

I don't know if you entered the Holey Donuts giveaway or not, but if you could check out this post and do so for my blog, it would mean a TON for my family and you can enter for the book afterwards too if you wish (White Cat by Holly Black ARC)!:

http://shootingstarsmag.blogspot.com/2010/02/giveaway-white-cat-arc-250-holey-donuts.html

-Lauren

bermudaonion said...

This looks like a good one to wait for!

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

LOL - this looks good and I am laughing about the purple cover. It would have hooked me too!

Erin Bow said...

Wow; thanks so much for the WOW! I haven't had many of them yet, and you've made my day.

Funnily enough, that purple cover is no longer the cover. Actually, it never was: it was just a mock-up that I made for my own amusement a few years back. Just unveiled the official cover and flap copy here: http://erinbow.livejournal.com/153568.html

 
site designed by aerin at insearchofgiants.com