Sunday, July 4, 2010

Proud to be an American






I am always proud to be an American, but days like today make me think about what it means even more.  I won't say that I always agree with the choices our leaders make, but I'm glad to have the choice when it comes to who our leaders are.  It may not always be who I chose, but I had a voice, and that's more than people in other countries have.   That option wouldn't even be mine if it weren't for women like Susan B. Anthony who fought for women's rights, years ago.  And we can't forget our founding fathers, who made all of this possible when they established this great country by writing and signing the Declaration of Independence.  Let's hope that the leaders of our country get back to following this article like our forefathers intended.  Let's not let the greatness they dreamed of fall short of their expectations.




One of the greatest things I think I had to memorize in school, was the preamble to the constitution. It begins with "We the people..." and that's what our forefathers intended.  That it be, we the people, not we the government, we in Congress, we in the White House, but we the people of the United States, together!  We must stick together, work together, fight together, to protect this great country that we love.



Thank God for all these men and women, who came before, that I may celebrate today!  Thank God to men and women, like my father, who fought and continue to fight to protect the freedoms we have in this country.   I am proud to be an American!


However you celebrate today, may you remember those that came before, whose hard work and perseverance enabled you to have the freedom to celebrate today...the 4th of July, the birth of the USA.

Happy Birthday America!


1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Happy Independence Day!

 
site designed by aerin at insearchofgiants.com