Monday, May 11, 2009

Review: The Tushy Book



Author:  Fran Manushkin
Illustrator:  Tracy Dockray
Review Copy Provided by: Feiwel and Friends

About the Book:  Baby tushies. Grown-up tushies. Animal tushies. Tushies are all around us! Even the word, TUSHY, is fun to say. C’mon, say it with us: TUSHY! TUSHY! TUSHY!
  
My Review:  Don't you just think that's the cutest cover?  The little girls undies sparkle!  Even the title screams cute!  When I saw this book, I knew I had to read and review it!  Ms. Manushkin has taken a sometimes taboo subject, children's undersides, and made it fun.  Tushy is an old word, not used as often as butt, bottom, rearend, or other words kids use, but it is so much more fun to say.  I don't think parents or teachers would object to hearing a child say "tush" or "tushy."  I know when I taught kindergarten, I didn't let my children say butt, but know I would smile at the sound of tushy.  

This book is written for 2 - 5 year old children.  I know these kiddos would absolutely love it!  Why?  Well, for one reason, it's full of rhyme and kids latch on to that.  The text is also sing-songy.  Children love rhythm and rhyme and this one definitely does that!  Each page has no more than 4 lines of text and many of the words are simple so kids could read along with mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, teacher, whomever.  Besides, like the book says, "Tushy's so much fun to say."  I can just hear children quoting this book.  My favorite is,
Every tushy's in the back.  Every tushy has a crack!  Where would you put underwear if your tushy wasn't there?
Tracy Dockray really brings this book to life with her illustrations.  She has illustrated Beezus and Ramona and other Beverly Cleary books, so you may be familiar with her work.  The illustrations are just cute!  Children will find more on each page than just what the text is about.  Every time I've read it, I've found something new.
 
I've included a short video of the book so you can get a feel for it.




The Tushy Book at Amazon
The Tushy Book at Powells

2 comments:

Fran Manushkin said...

Thanks so much for the warm review of my book. It made my day! Fran

Carlene said...

Another great interview. I will have to buy this one for my grandson.
Thanks
Carlene
iluvreading(at)verizon.net

 
site designed by aerin at insearchofgiants.com