Monday, December 14, 2009

Giving Books for the Holidays II

Today I have 3 books to share with you, thanks to Chronicle Books, that I will be giving as gifts to my nieces and nephews.  I have shared these in my In My Mailbox/Mailbox Monday post previously, but wanted to share them here, along with my thoughts.

Creature ABC by Andrew Zuckerman
An elegant addition to any library, this deluxe alphabet book features 120 pages of Andrew Zuckerman's breathtaking wildlife photography. From alligator to zebra, each featured animal boasts two striking studio portraits against a clean white background, offering a unique up-close view of the animal kingdom. Readers can flip to a helpful glossary in the back for extra information. From the sleek beauty of a smiling hippo to the powerful majesty of a roaring lion, this gorgeous new book is both a stunning work of art and a ferociously fun way for young animal-lovers to learn their ABCs

120 pages
All ages

My Thoughts:  I love this ABC book!  The pictures are phenomenal and it is a different twist on an ABC book.  Mr. Zuckerman put a lot of thought into this book for young children.  So many times, you see the same pictures or words for letters of the alphabet, like a for apple, but this is different.  Each letter features a different animal, sometimes more than one.  The pictures are sharp and clear, just perfect for youngsters who are learning their letters.  They will be enthralled with this book!  I'm sure my nephew will love it.

Stereobook: Vehicles by Ben Grossblatt
Stereobooks feature built-in stereo speakers, so readers feel surrounded by sound as they listen to the 15 action-packed scenes in each book. Vehicles features a space shuttle blasting off and Formula One race cars zipping around a track.

32 pages
Ages 4 and up

My Thoughts:  For a child who loves any kind of vehicle, this is the perfect book!  The added bonus, is that they not only get to read about the vehicles, they get to hear them as well.   This book has bright vivid pictures that are so realistic you feel like you are there, on the street, the runway, the sky, or wherever the vehicle may go.  Boys will pick this one up again and again.

The Little Books Boxed Set by Amy Krouse Rosenthal
Three adorable characters in three adorable board books! These clever twists on dinnertime, bedtime, and clean-up time will delight all the little mess-makers, picky eaters, and night owls in your life.

30 pages each
Ages 3 and up

My Thoughts:  These are cute books, each in their own way!  I love that they are packaged together, perfect for gift giving.  Little Pea will help children learn to eat their vegetables.  Little Hoot will help them learn to go to bed, and Little Oink will help them learn to clean up their messes.  All of these are situations that young children find themselves in at one time or another, and what better way to help them with them than by making them fun, in a book.

Maybe someone on your Christmas list would enjoy one of these books from Chronicle.



2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I do know someone who would enjoy the first two books - our 3 year old great nephew. Thanks for the reviews.

Cath said...

This makes me wish I knew a wee person to get that Vehicles book for.

 
site designed by aerin at insearchofgiants.com