Thursday, December 24, 2009

Review: The Paper Bag Christmas



Author:  Kevin Alan Milne
Review Copy Provided by:  Center Street

About the Book: (from Powells)  Dr. Christopher Ringle is the last person you'd expect to find moonlighting as Santa Claus at the mall on the day after Thanksgiving. But it is there that he meets a young man named Molar Alan, who desperately needs a new perspective on the underlying value of Christmas. Dr. Ringle recruits Mo and his older brother as volunteers at a nearby children's hospital for the holiday season. At the hospital, Mo is tasked to help bring holiday cheer to the young cancer patients on the fifth floor. His biggest challenge is befriending a decidedly angry girl who is so embarrassed by her scarred appearance that she hides her face behind the safety of a paper bag. Almost in spite of himself, Mo finds that Christmas joy emanates from a source far greater than the North Pole, while the young girl learns that she is more beautiful than she had ever imagined.    

My Review:  To say I loved this book would be an understatement!  I have had this book since last year, but just haven't had the time to read it.  Well, yesterday when I headed out to the chiropractor, I took it along.  I'm so glad I did!  My wait was longer than expected, so I nearly finished it.  At just 150 pages, this is a quick read, but one that will stay with you long after the book is closed.  If you don't believe in Santa or Christmas miracles, you may change your mind after reading this!  I laughed, I cried, my heart hurt and was filled with joy!  This is just a sweet little story about how one boy's life was changed, Christmas when he was 9.  Not only did his life change, but the lives of those around him were changed as well.  A boy learned about Christmas, a girl learned that beauty is on the inside, and families came together, with the help of one doctor, or Santa Clause, you decide!

It's amazing how one event can change your life.  Maybe one little book could change yours...this could be the one!  Whether you read it now, at Christmas, or at any other time during the year, I hope you will take the time.  It's truly moving!  May you keep Christmas in your heart and never get to old to believe.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I loved this book too! It's a great book to put you in the Christmas spirit!

 
site designed by aerin at insearchofgiants.com