This is the first of it's kind challenge, and I'm so glad that Danielle Smith, aka The1stdaughter, over at There's A Book created and is hosting this one. For all the details, check out her challenge page. Here is the overview:
- The objective of the Read to Me Challenge is to read with the kiddos in your life and/or enjoy picture books in general.
- Books must be ones written expressly for children ages 9 and under. Board books, early readers, picture books, etc.
- Print or eBook format is acceptable.
- Anyone can join. You don’t have to be a blogger, and you don’t have to live in the United States. Open worldwide.
- You do not have to have an blog to participate.
- You can join at anytime. Deadline to join is November 20, 2011. (not 2010 you still have PLENTY of time to sign up!) The challenge runs from January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2011.
There are different levels to the challenge, some for Reading with a Child and some for Reading On Your Own. I am going for the Reading On Your Own set of levels. Many of you know that I have grandchildren, but I don't want to count on them being around enough for me to play in the Reading with a Child zone. So, I will enjoy the picture books on my own as I read and review them for this blog. Here are the levels for Reading On Your Own:
Reading on Your Own:
- “Board Book” – Read 12 picture books on your own during the year.
- “Unjacketed” – Read 36 picture books on your own during the year.
- “Jacketed“ – Read 72 picture books on your own during the year.
- “Early Reader” – Read 120 picture books on your own during the year.
- “Chapter Reader” – Read 200 picture books on your own during the year.