Sunday, June 21, 2009

Review: Abigail Iris




Illustrator:  Joy Allen
Review Copy Provided by:  Curled Up with a Good Book

About the Book:  Abigail Iris is sick of being One-of-Many—brothers and sisters, that is. She’d rather be an Only, like all her best friends, and not have to compete with siblings for time or attention. So Abigail is thrilled when she joins her friend Genevieve’s family on a trip to San Francisco. She gets to stay in a fancy hotel, visit Chinatown, order room service—and she doesn’t have to share anything with her pesky older siblings! Amid all the fun, though, Abigail discovers that having a set of parents to yourself might be nice some of the time, it just isn’t right for Abigail all of the time.

My Review:  Abigail Iris will be to young girls today like Ramona was to me when I was young.  She is the new Ramona, precocious and fun, she is a 3rd grade version of Junie B. Jones.  I just love her and her antics.  This was a real fun book to read and I know that girls 7-10 will fall in love with Abigail Iris!

Glatt and Greenberg have written a great book and Joy Allen adds such fun with her illustrations.  This could be a great classroom read-aloud!  I can also see little girls anxiously waiting for their copy to come in at the library.  It's just a quick fun read that will have them asking for more.  Abigail Iris is charming, funny, full-of-life, and at times an annoyance to her siblings.  When it's all said and done, will she want to be an only anymore?




4 comments:

Natascha De Marco said...

It sounds charming, but I think Ill pass.
Ive filled my quota for under 12 age books already, can't do it anymore! Need...a...adult...book...right...about...now....

bermudaonion said...

The book sounds great and the cover is adorable!

Margie said...

I will definitely tell 8 about this one.

Ramona and Junie B. Jones are childhood heros!

Gwendolyn B. said...

No girls in my family are the "right" age for this book right now -- Guess I'll have to read it just for myself! Sounds like fun - and I love her name!

 
site designed by aerin at insearchofgiants.com