Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Review: Bippity Bop Barbershop


Title:  Bippity Bop Barbershop
Author:  Natasha Anastasia Tarpley
Illustrator:  E.B.Lewis
Review Copy Provided by:  Little, Brown Books

About the Book:  This story depicts the special ritual between father and son as they visit the barbershop for the little boy's first haircut. 

My Review:  I have used I Love My Hair!, also by Tarpley, in my classroom for years, so when I saw this, I just knew I had to review it.  Once again, I'm in love with Tarpley's work!  Little boys will definitely relate to this story, as will fathers who take their sons to the barbershop.  What little boy hasn't been scared of his first haircut, especially when surrounded by a lot of men, watching to see how he's going to do?  All of them are rooting for him to be brave, but he doesn't really understand what they mean.  It's easier said than done, especially with the noisy clippers coming at him.  Tarpley creates a reassuring environment for the boy through her story.  In the end, he is brave, as you would expect, and prides himself in being a big boy now.  I truly enjoyed this story and love the relationship that it depicts between father and son.  The waterclolor illustrations by E.B. Lewis, bring the characters to life through simple paintings. The expressions on the little boy's face are just priceless! Children, boys especially, will love this story.  I am glad that there is a boy's version of I Love My Hair! because that has always been a favorite in my classroom.  I recommend this one to parents, teachers, and librarians.

No comments:

 
site designed by aerin at insearchofgiants.com