Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Sunday Salon - My First

This is my first The Sunday Salon post, ever.  Since starting my blog, I have read many other bloggers' Salons, but I've never participated.  Most of the bloggers with whom I first connected participate, but for whatever reason, I thought it was for a "specific group."  Well, it is a group, but specific it is not.  Anyone can participate, so here goes!

If you're like me, and you're wondering what this Salon is all about, you can check it out on Facebook.  There is an open group for The Sunday Salon.  Here are the details of the meme, from the site:

The Salon is open to anyone who'd like to discuss books of a Sunday (or, frankly, any other day of the week). We've actually been around for some years -- see http://dhamel.typepad.com/sundaysalon/ -- but managing the group via that site became a problem because of its size and we had to limit membership to a little over 500 members. I'm now throwing the doors open to anyone who'd like to participate. Discuss what you're reading here, or link to relevant blog posts, or comment on one another's posts. Enjoy.
My week in books:  hmmm....well, I didn't finish a single title this week, thanks to a crazy work week.  I did start 2 new books this week though.  It's been a while since I've had more than one book going at a time.  Here's what I'm reading:  Little Princes, which has been all over the blogosphere, and Enclave - book #1 in the Razorland series.  Enclave, though marketed as Teen Fiction, is dystopian, which for some reason, seems to be a lot of what I'm reading lately.  Not exactly my genre of choice, but it is what is out there, in YA right now, and I am drawn to it.  Right now though, they are beginning to get predicatable; the people in the "world" seem to be kept down and the "other" world or the world that used to be is kept secret from them, for some reason.  Each book I've read have had different "worlds" but they have many similarities.

I completed the Comment Challenge this week, hosted by Lee Wind and MotherReader.  It was a great 21 days for me, even though I didn't reach 100 comments.  I love the premise behind this challenge - create a habit, share the blogging love, meet new bloggers, and get comments on your blog.  There are so many benefits from participating.  I hope you will join us next year!

Since this is basically the end of the month, I should talk about how I'm doing with my New Year, Renew Blog.  I didn't make personal New Year's Resolutions, but I did make blogging goals for the year.  I know, it's only been a month, but they say habits are created in 21 days, and I'm thinking "so far-so good!"  I have been blogging more consistently, commenting more, cleaning out my reader at least every other day and re-connecting with my blogging community.  I feel wonderful about renewing my blog.  It is fun for me again and that, to me is what it's all about.  Blogging is not my job, I don't stay at home during the day, so I don't have a lot of time, but I'm learning to maximize my online time, schedule posts, and just enjoy this hobby I have.

Like I said, I had a very busy work week, so my week wasn't as bookish as I'd have liked it to be, but some weeks are like that.  The only full days I spent at school were Monday and Friday.  Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons were spent at different trainings.  We are at the beginning of the testing season here in Texas, and with that brings the busyness of the school year.  I am not going to let it get me down or keep me from continuing with my blogging.  It is time that I prioritize my life, and that is just what I plan to do!

How was your reading week?

1 comment:

cindysloveofbooks said...

Shelly I have been seeing these posts since I have been blogging and was always curious about them and I think at one point I checked and they were closed to newm members so thanks for pointing this out I will have to check it out and think about doing this on a sunday in the future.

Wishign you a great week. :)

 
site designed by aerin at insearchofgiants.com