Saturday, January 17, 2009

Review: Richard Wright and the Library Card

Title:  Richard Wright and the Library Card
Author:  William Miller
Illustrator:  Gregory Christie
Review Copy Provided by:  Lee and Low Books

About the Book: As a young black man in the segregated South of the 1920s, Wright was hungry to explore new worlds through books, but was forbidden from borrowing them from the library. This touching account tells of his love of reading, and how his unwavering perseverance, along with the help of a co-worker, came together to make Richard's dream a reality.


My Review:  Having a library card is something I always stress to my students.  All of them visit our school library, but many have never been to the local public library.  They sometimes look at me like I'm crazy when I talk about it, but once they experience it, they are amazed!  Richard Wright and the Library Card is the perfect book for teachers, librarians, and even parents to read to their children and discuss the wonderful opportunities that come with having a library card.  Unfortunately, it wasn't always feasible for "everyone" to have a card, especially people of color, which is something that today's kids don't always realize.  I love historical fiction, and this book did not leave me disappointed.  Mr. Miller tells Richard's story in such a way that it is enjoyable and entertaining for children.  As I read it, I found myself feeling sorry for Richard; no one should be deprived of the joy of reading, especially when it is a great personal desire.  Richard persevered and found a friend who would allow him to use his library card, which could have gotten the man, Mr. Falk, in trouble.  This book is well written and would open up alot of great discussion in the classroom and at home.

Thank you to Hannah at Lee & Low for sending this one to me!  You are such a joy to work with!

1 comment:

Staci said...

I read this book to a lot of my library classes a few years ago. It always chokes me up and the kids really enjoyed it. A library card, something they all take for granted.

Great review!

 
site designed by aerin at insearchofgiants.com