Saturday, April 4, 2009

Snapshot Saturday #10 - Name the Baby Contest

For this week's Snapshot Saturday, I thought I'd share our good news of the week. Those of you who follow know that we have been waiting on our mare to foal for a month now.  A horse's gestation period is 11 months, but it is not usually to the day, which means they usually go 11 months & 11 days, or more.  Ours was the "or more."  Well, early Monday morning, we got the phone call, "You have a baby!"  It was the news we'd been waiting to hear.

Cat, our mare, has been in Angleton, at the vet's, since right before the rodeo.  we knew we weren't going to be home much, and the girls would be there to watch her if she foaled.  We made it through rodeo with nothing, and then last weekend, while we were there, she bagged up really big, so we thought she was close.  We were right!

Here is our new little girl...

 

No, she doesn't have a name yet.  Our mama is Doc's Top Cat (Cat), a sorrel and white paint horse, and her daddy, our vet's stallion, is One Cool Customer (Golden Child), a sorrel paint horse.  The names in parentheses are their barn names.  When we get ready to register the baby, we have to turn in 5-7 registerd names that we like.  They don't care about the barn name, that's just for us, like a nickname.  So far, I think we've decided on the registered name, but can't seem to come up with a barn name, so for now, we're just calling her "little girl."  

That's where you come in.  Will you help us name the baby?  Just leave your name suggestions in the comments.  If we use yours, I will send you a $10 Amazon or Powell's gift card, your choice.  If we don't choose one of your suggestions, I'll put all the names in a hat and draw a winner for the gift card, just for helping us.  Sound like a deal?  Let me know what you think.  I will be sure to post her name, along with a new picture, once we have one.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

How sweet! She is just adorable. Congrats on your new arrival.

How about Mocha or Latte for a name. Her color reminds me of coffee.

Give mom an extra carrot for doing such a good job:)

Vanessa said...

Congratulations on your new arrival! She's beautiful.

donnas said...

Congrats! She's so cute.

How about Brown Beauty or Sweetie Pie?

bermudaonion said...

Oh my gosh, there's nothing cuter than a baby animal. How precious is she. I'm not very creative, but my idea for a name is Tag.

Pissenlit said...

Oh, she's fantastic!:D

Okay, pardon my thought patterns but I haven't had any tea yet.

Hello Kiddie - Influenced by the names Cat and Golden Child

or

Diamonds - being one of the string figures in the game Cat's Cradle...and Gold...Diamonds...eh? eh?(oh gosh, I so need caffeine)...also, you know that saying about Diamonds being a girl's best friend...heh heh...(point me in the direction of caffeine...and sugar...now...)

Sage Ravenwood said...

She's a beauty. At first I thought of reddish names like Chestnut, or Russett. Then I started thinking in the lines of her appearing that reddish color and John Steinbeck's book The Red Pony.

The final name I thought would be perfect was Gabilan. The character name of the Red Pony in Steinbeck's book.

Welcome to the new addition. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful baby! How lucky you are to have been able to witness that!

I would put in for a name a combination of the parents' names, making it Cool Cat.

Jenna said...

What an adorable baby! I literally swooned when I saw the pictures.

How about Hot Chocolate or Midnight Snow(flake)?

I'm sure you'll find the perfect name for that beautiful creature

Jenna
jennapomme@yahoo.com

Teddy Rose said...

She is so beautiful! Congrats.

Reyna Meinhardt said...

She's so adorable! Foals are the so precious (and once they get a little older, naughty!!) You make me think of my horse, Apache's Princess Bailee (Bailee) when she was a baby! She's almost 4 now.

Here are a few names that I came up with that I thought were cute!

.Pixie
.Tink
.Blaze
.Lola
.Stardust
.Charm

Thanks!
countrystars95@yahoo.com

Ladytink_534 said...

Aw! She's the cutest!

Um what about Alado (it means Winged One, like Pegasus), Breeze, Navigator, or Brown Beauty?

Ladytink_534 AT yahoo DOT com

 
site designed by aerin at insearchofgiants.com